Security and Reliability
Simply Voting was designed from the ground-up to eliminate the risk of electoral fraud or breach of secrecy:
- Voters who bypass authentication or have already voted are denied access to the ballot.
- One-vote-per-voter is guaranteed by marking electors as voted and storing the vote in a single transaction. Even if a voter submits the ballot simultaneously on several devices, this technology guarantees that only one vote is accepted.
- Ballots are rigorously checked for validity before being accepted.
- Communication between the voter's computer and our website is encrypted with TLS 1.2 and strong cipher suites to protect against current and future encryption attacks.
- Our servers are "hardened" and are subjected to daily Trust Guard PCI Compliance security scans.
- Our voting system has been subjected to live vulnerability scans by WhiteHat Security and source code security audits by HP Fortify.
- Simply Voting adheres to guidelines established by the Open Web Application Security Project.
- Any change to the voting system must pass an internal security review before going live.
- We use DomainKeys Identified Mail and the Sender Policy Framework to protect voters from phishing attacks.
- Our servers are protected by a very powerful firewall, FortiGate Unified Threat Management, which includes an Intrusion Detection System and a redundant firewall on hot standby.
- Simply Voting uses CloudFlare to protect against Denial of Service (DoS) attacks. CloudFlare has the most sophisticated mitigation technology on the market and has successfully blocked the largest DoS attacks seen on the internet.
- We use redundant Anycast DNS deployments which protects against DNS-based DDoS attacks.
Fully Hosted & Reliable
Don't worry yourself about servers, IT staff, installing software or taking backups. Simply Voting gives you instant access to the latest technology and is ready to process millions of votes around the clock.
Simply Voting is built on an enterprise-class cloud computing service powered by high performance IBM hardware, with full redundancy across the entire infrastructure (no single points of failure). Our data centre is in a stable mountain zone, away from earthquake, hurricane, tornado, and severe weather zones. The data center contains advanced power, cooling and security infrastructure, and Cisco Data Center 3.0 network architecture. It is staffed 24x7, backed-up by an offsite network operations center. We also use several Anycast DNS clusters to ensure fault tolerance at the DNS level.
Simply Voting uses third party offsite monitoring tools to automatically monitor key “vital signs” of our voting system 24x7 and a technical staff member is immediately notified of any anomaly. Simply Voting maintains a Disaster Recovery Plan as well as a Hot Site at a backup data center in a different geographical area. The Hot Site is synchronized with the primary data center using remote database replication. Should the primary data center experience an outage, we have the capability of quickly redirecting traffic of the entire voting system to the Hot Site, minimizing disruption to ongoing elections and avoiding any loss of data. You can rest assured that your election is always protected and available in the case of a disaster.
For telephone voting, Simply Voting uses industry leader Plum Voice as a voice-to-web interface layered on top of our online voting system. Every component in the Plum Voice, fault-tolerant infrastructure has a backup and Plum's platforms have been tested by billions of calls since 2000. Plum's PCI Level 1 compliant operation actively secures and protects applications and data from digital, physical, and social intrusion vectors. Thanks to Plum Voice's flexible technology Simply Voting can easily scale up or down the number of dedicated ports needed, and the telephone voting system can handle spikes well beyond that number.
100% Availability Guarantee
Simply Voting endeavours to provide the most reliable infrastructure possible for our online voting system. We guarantee that all functionality is available 100% of the time in a given month, excluding special planned maintenance. We will credit your account 5% of your election fee for each 30 minutes of unavailability (up to 100%).
Skyhigh Enterprise-Ready Rating
Simply Voting received the highest CloudTrust Rating from Skyhigh Networks. Skyhigh performs objective and thorough evaluations of cloud services based on a detailed set of criteria developed in conjunction with the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA). Services designated as Skyhigh Enterprise-Ready fully satisfy the most stringent requirements for data protection, identity verification, service security, business practices, and legal protection.
SSAE 16 Certification
Simply Voting is SSAE 16 SOC 1 Type I certified. The SSAE 16 (formerly known as SAS 70) is a widely recognized auditing standard issued by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). An auditor's report details a service provider's ability to offer adequate controls and safeguards when they host or process data belonging to their customers. The audit focuses heavily in the areas of compliance, security and access. It addresses important topics such as backup and recovery, computer operations, and human resources.
Our data center, RackForce, is similarly SSAE 16 SOC 1 Type II certified. Both Simply Voting and RackForce are also CSAE 3416 and ISAE 3402 certified; these are the Canadian and international equivalents to the SSAE 16. These certifications are an independent validation of the quality, integrity and reliability of Simply Voting's infrastructure and services.